Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building)
This qualification reflects the role of individuals who use well-developed building and constructions skills and a broad knowledge base in a wide variety of building contexts. They apply solutions to a defined range of issues, and analyse and evaluate information from a variety of sources. They may provide leadership and guidance to others with some responsibility for the output of others.
This qualification is designed to meet the needs of builders and managers of small to medium-sized building businesses.
The builder may also be the appropriately licensed person with responsibility under the relevant building licensing authority in the State or Territory. Builder licensing varies across States and Territories and additional requirements to attainment of this qualification may be required.
Work in a diverse range of roles that may include:
- Construction coordinator
- Project planner
- Building coordinator
The construction industry strongly affirms that training and assessment leading to recognition of skills must be undertaken in a real or very closely simulated workplace environment and this qualification requires all units of competency to be delivered in this context.
Additional units of competency may be required to meet builder registration requirements in various States and Territories.
GBL has incorporated unit CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry as an entry requirement to this qualification. Students will need to provide copy of statement of attainment/ certificate/ letter of completion as an evidence of completion of this unit
Units of Competency
To achieve this qualification, the candidate must demonstrate competency in 16 units of competency.
- BSBSMB406A Manage small business finances
- CPCCBC4001A Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for low rise building projects
- CPCCBC4002A Manage occupational health and safety in the building and construction workplace
- CPCCBC4003A Select and prepare a construction contract
- CPCCBC4004A Identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects
- CPCCBC4005A Produce labour and material schedules for ordering
- CPCCBC4006B Select, procure and store construction materials for low rise projects
- CPCCBC4007A Plan building or construction work
- CPCCBC4008B Conduct on-site supervision of building and construction projects
- CPCCBC4009B Apply legal requirements to building and construction projects
- CPCCBC4010B Apply structural principles to residential low rise constructions
- CPCCBC4011B Apply structural principles to commercial low rise constructions
- CPCCBC4012B Read and interpret plans and specifications
- CPCCBC4024A Resolve business disputes
- CPCCBS5004A Supervise and apply quality standards to the selection of building and construction materials
- CPCCBS5005A Select and manage building and construction contractors
*Additional units may be included as a part of the course, to meet the licensing requirement for each state.
*Assessment Methods/Mode: May include combination of Projects, Case Study, Knowledge based questions, Observations and Role Plays.
*Elective units may be chosen considering the specific job roles and or requirement for the target groups.
*Electives units for specific program or specific target group will be identified in the respective flyer/ TAS. Please speak to GBL representation for more information.
**It requires commitment to attend training and to complete assignments within specified deadlines. Learners will be expected to make this commitment before being enrolled in the program, and deviation from it during the course may result in them being withdrawn.